NORTH PITCH — Below Zero 2018
January 17 – 20, 2018. Tromsø, Norway
No matter where you are based you can submit your documentary project on all aspects of life above the Arctic Circle. Projects selected for the 10’th NORTH PITCH - Below Zero will pitch to a panel of international decision makers as well as compete for The Arctic Documentary Award and The Below Zero Award. The deadline for submitting projects was November 27, 2017.
NORTH PITCH — Below Zero is an international pitching session for documentary projects focusing on life above the Arctic Circle. At the session a wide range of documentary projects on all subjects related to this matter will be pitched. These can be projects focusing on culture, environment, resources, politics, climate changes and indigenous peoples as well as general human stories.
The projects selected for NORTH PITCH — Below Zero will be competing for 2 awards. The Arctic Documentary Award, NOK 40.000, is granted to the project which has the best political, environmental or cultural relevance to the Arctic and has an international potential for financing and distribution. The Below Zero Award, NOK 10.000, is given for the most innovative project. Kulturnæringsstiftelsen SNN is funding both awards.
Filmmakers from all over the world are welcome to submit projects for NORTH PITCH — Below Zero. Stories with a broad international market appeal are preferred. From the submitted project proposals a maximum of 12 projects will be selected for participation. The working language will be English.
NORTH PITCH - Below Zero consists of a 2-day workshop and will conclude with a pitching session, where the selected projects are pitched to a panel of international financiers and experts.
An essential part of NORTH PITCH — Below Zero is the pre-pitch workshop, where the selected projects will be developed under guidance from experienced international experts from the documentary business.
The NORTH PITCH — Below Zero program
The programme will consist of the following elements:
- a pre-pitching workshop where the selected projects will be developed under guidance from experienced international experts from the documentary business. The workshop will focus on how the project can be developed in the best possible direction and how the presentation of the project can be optimized. During the workshop, there will be a possibility to work with both the pitch trailer and the written presentation.
- a pitching session where each project will be pitched in seven minutes for a panel of international financiers and possible future collaborators. The pitch will be followed by a brief round of feedback from the panel and individual meetings between filmmakers and financiers
- networking events to encourage future collaborations between organizations, financiers, producers and filmmakers.
The following panel participants are confirmed so far:
• Anders Riis-Hansen, Danish Film Institute, Denmark
• Jan Daae, DR International Sales, Denmark
• Anne Laurila, North Finland Film Commission, Finland
• Fredrik Færden, NRK, Norway
• Ingrid Kristin Dokka, North Norwegian film Centre, Norway
• Karolina Lidin, Nordisk Film & TV Fond, Norway
• Lars Löge, Norwegian Film Institute, Norway
• Helle Hansen, Norwegian Film Institute, Norway
• Anna Svensson, SVT, Sweden
• Katja Härkönen, Filmpool Nord, Sweden
• Kenan Aliyev, Current Time TV, Czech Republic
• Jörg Krause, ARTE G.E.I.E, France
• Katja Wildermuth, NDR, Germany
• Anja Dziersk, Rise and Shine World Sales, Germany
• Margje de Koning, EO/IKONdocs, The Netherlands
• Liisa Holmberg, International Sámi Film Institute, Norway
The NORTH PITCH - BELOW ZERO Tutors:
An essential part of the Below ZERO is the pre-pitch workshop, where the selected projects will be developed under guidance from experienced international experts from the documentary business.
The tutor team for the workshop:
• Iikka Vehkalahti, Producer & Consultant, Finland
• Phil Jandaly, Editor, Sweden
• Emma Davie, Director, Scotland
• Gitte Hansen, Sales agent, Switzerland
• Mikael Opstrup, Head of Studies EDN, Denmark
Projects Selected for NORTH PITCH - Below Zero 2018
THE EARTH MASTERS | Dir: Friedemann Hottenbacher. Prod: Gregor Streiber, Inselfilm produktion, Germany
THE MISSIONARIES | Dir: Mike Day. Prod: Henrik Underbjerg, Stray Dog Productions, Denmark
THE TERRORIST | Dir: Roger Manndal. Prod: Mette Roger Manndal, Manndal AS, Norway
JOURNEY TO THE END OF THE NIGHT | Dir: Ksenia Elyan. Prod: Max Tuula, Marx Film, Estonia
WALLS | Dir: Sofie Rørdam. Prod: Nina Paninnguaq Skydsbjerg Jacobsen, PaniNoir, Greenland
MAN WITH A FAMILY | Dir: Mikael Strandberg. Prod: Mikael Strandberg, Explorer Mikael Strandberg, Sweden
IN THE SHADOW OF THE MIDNIGHT SUN | Dir: Juan delGado. Prod: Gillian Gordon, Fourth Culture Films, Germany
THE LAST POLAR EXPLORER | Dir: Sven Arild Storberget. Prod: Sven Arild Storberget, Trad Film AS, Norway
A DEVIL WITH HARPOON | Dir: Mirko Stopar. Prod: Tore Buvarp, Fenris Film, Norway
KIRUNA 2.0 | Dir: Greta Stocklassa. Prod: Veronika Kührová, Analog Vision, Czech Republic
ANIMAL | Dir: Egil Håskjold Larsen. Prod: Racha Nia, Yellow Log AS, Norge
What do previous participants say about NORTH PITCH — Below Zero?
"NORTH PITCH — Below Zero has been a great occasion for my project ADRIFT to grow. During three days in beautiful Tromsø, I worked on my project with a team of committed, enthusiastic and professional tutors before pitching it to a panel of high profile international commissioners. Through the workshop I had the chance to focus on both strong and weak points of the project and was able to shape the final pitch accordingly.
It was also useful getting to know other projects on the same topic and meeting producers and commissioners in a very nice and friendly environment.
NORTH PITCH — Below Zero has been the starting point of a journey for ADRIFT, and yet most of the results we achieved today are direct consequences of the massive work we did during the workshop and the connections established with the commissioners after the pitch."
— Aurelio Laino, Director, Italy. NORTH PITCH (Below Zero participant with the project ADRIFT)
Each selected project pays a participation fee of 300 Euro, which includes one participating person. Every other member of the pitching team pays an individual fee of 200 Euro. We strongly recommend participation of both director and producer.
Participating as Observer
For NORTH PITCH - Below Zero a number of observer seats are available. When participating as an observer you will take part in all sessions on equal terms with the pitching participants. Only exception is not having a concrete project developed and pitched. Observers pay 200 Euro for participating.
Background on NORTH PITCH - Below Zero
The NORTH PITCH - Below Zero event was initiated in 2009 in order to bring together filmmakers, producers, financiers and organizations whose common interest is documentaries thematically rooted in the Northern Polar region. Building on the success of the first nine editions of NORTH PITCH - Below Zero, this tenth edition will further strengthen and develop the international network for documentaries made around or focusing on the Arctic region. NORTH PITCH - Below Zero is set in Tromsø, Northern Norway, during the last days of the polar night.
NORTH PITCH - Below Zero is arranged by Nordnorsk Filmsenter and organised by EDN. The event takes place in the framework of Tromso International Film Festival.
NORTH PITCH - Below Zero is made possible by the support from: