Submissions Open for Budapest International Documentary Festival
Documentary filmmakers can now submit their works for the 7th edition of the Budapest International Documentary Festival (BIDF). The festival will take place from 25 – 31 January 2021. The deadline for submitting films is 4 September 2020.
Budapest International Documentary Festival is an international competition for creative documentaries from all over the world without thematic restriction, featuring money awards and an international jury. Over the past six years, BIDF has grown into an established, well-known and trendy event in Hungary with more than 15.000 participants on a yearly basis. As the primary objective of BIDF is still audience-building, the selection criteria are focused on films that are audience-friendly, emotionally intense with strong storytelling. Films eligible for submission should be productions from 2019/2020.
The festival is one of the key sources for audiences in Hungary to access documentary films allowing a glimpse at how the documentary sector is evolving, especially in the international market. EDN - European Documentary Network is a supporter and partner of BIDF and has been involved in the development of the event since its inception in 2014.
Budapest International Documentary Festival is the only international documentary festival in the capital of Hungary that:
- is a competition festival for the best documentaries from all over the world, without thematic or any other restrictions
- hosts the creators of every film and covers all their costs
- holds a Q&A session after every screening to provide a real one-off experience
- groups the selected films into thematic sections
- has an international jury of 5 professionals in every section
- gives 5-6 awards with prize money along with other rewards and special mentions
- is also a year-long project with screenings every month
Besides the international feature-length competition, BIDF 2021 will also offer an international student competition alongside its national competition for Hungarian films.
Filmmakers can submit their work until 4 September 2020 directly via the BIDF website, which also provides further information on each competition and the submission guidelines.
Recommended links at edn.network
See International TV Channels in The EDN Financing Guide