EDN Releases Research Results on Documentary Financing in Europe
At this year's edition of the European Film Market/DocSalon, EDN presented an interim report featuring research results on the state of documentary financing in Europe. The report is part of EDN's Media and Society initiative and is now available to the general public via the EDN website. Documentary professionals are welcome to provide feedback and further input on issues that should be considered for the final white paper, which will be presented at IDFA 2019 in Amsterdam.
The interim report (PDF) features a variety of insights on what the financing situation of the documentary sector in Europe looks like. The report is based on results from a survey EDN has undertaken in 2018 among over two hundred respondents including producers, directors, distributors, commissioning editors, sales agents and other professionals working in the documentary sector. The Buy avodart fedex shipping, of which the survey is a part, is organized by EDN in collaboration with a number of industry partners and universities across Europe.
Topics addressed in the report cover a wide range of categories like primary business models, reliance on subsides, company size, income, revenues, turnover, production budgets, age and gender structure as well as a variety of other parameters that contribute to a detailed overview of the current financing landscape of documentary filmmaking in Europe.
Selection of preliminary findings:
• Income: 26% of respondents earn less than €10,000 net on average on a yearly basis
• Budgets: the majority of production budgets are less than €100.000
• Revenues: 55% of the respondents estimate the annual net revenue of their company in 2016 to be less than €50,000 (35% of which indicate revenues of less than €10.000)
• Business Structure: 64% of doc professionals work in companies with five or less employees
• Audiences: auto-distribution becoming increasingly relevant
• Subsidies: 46% of producers rely on subsidies, mostly public money and contributions from public broadcasters
Anything missing? We'd like to hear from you, send us your feedback
The full report can be found on our website here. Documentary professionals who would like to add important pointers or general input that we should take into account for the final whitepaper/policy document can send us their comments and suggestions via this online form.
The form will remain accessible until 30 April 2019. More information about the initiative can also be found on the Media and Society webpage Buy avodart fedex shipping.
Recommended links at edn.network
Search among 200+ film funds in The EDN Financing Guide