Tribeca Film Institute awards $175,000 to documentary productions
The Tribeca Film Institute has announced the 2014 grantees of its TFI Documentary Fund. TFI also announced winners of the second annual TFI/ESPN Prize and of the inaugural Influence Award, part of TFI’s new multi-year partnership with the Europe-based Influence Film Foundation.
More than 500 submissions from 70 countries were considered to determine the 11 TFI Documentary Fund and partner award winners who together will receive a total of $175,000, an increase of $15,000 from last year, to fund their projects in various stages of development through post-production.
The TFI Documentary Fund aims to advance character-driven, non-fiction filmmaking featuring creative and unexplored perspectives from around the world. This year’s grantees of are:
- · A BALLERINA’S TALE: Directed by Nelson D. George; Produced by Leslie Norville.
- · AQUARELA: Directed by Victor Kossakovsky; Produced by Aimara Reques
- · DIAMOND, SILVER & GOLD: Directed and Produced by Jason Kohn; Produced by Jared Goldman & Amanda Branson Gill
- · NUTS: Directed and Produced by Penny Lane
- · PRIDE: Directed and Produced by Mohammed Naqvi*; Produced by Jared Ian Goldman
- · TEA TIME: Written and Directed by Maite Alberdi*; Produced by Clara Taricco
- · THE SENSITIVES: Directed by Drew Xanthopoulos; Produced by David Hartstein
- · THE WOLFPACK PROJECT: Directed by Crystal S. Moselle; Produced by Izabella V. Tzenkova
- · VILLAGES OF THE ABSENT*: Directed by Omar Shami; Written and Produced by Ola Shami
The TFI/ESPN Prize is an annual grant extension of the TFI Documentary Fund given to a feature-length work-in-progress documentary that presents sports, competition and athleticism as a backdrop within a character-driven story. The second annual TFI/ESPN Prize winner is:
- · THE PUNCH: Directed by Andre Hörmann; Produced by Ingmar Trost
The Influence Award is an extension of the TFI Documentary Fund through a partnership with the Europe-based Influence Film Foundation, which supports documentaries through grants, equity investments and audience development. The award provides an annual matching grant to a feature-length work-in-progress documentary that sparks meaningful dialogue around an area or issue that has been overlooked or under-represented in the media. This year’s Influence Award winner is:
- · CHECK IT: Directed and Produced by Dana Flor & Toby Oppenheimer
Read more about the Tribeca funds in The EDN Financing Guide.
Related links at edn.dk
Search among 500+ documentary events in the DOCalendar