Docs in Thessaloniki 2012
March 14 - 18, 2012. Thessaloniki, Greece.
Docs in Thessaloniki is an international pitching forum and workshop offering an outstanding opportunity to create alliances for future collaborations. Here you will develop & pitch your project and network with European colleagues and financiers in a relaxed and constructive atmosphere. Submission deadline was on January 20, 2012.
Docs in Thessaloniki consist of a five-day program, where 21 selected documentary projects will be developed, re-written and pitched.
Here you can download a flyer inviting you to the Docs in Thessaloniki sessions.
The first three days are focusing on development
The participating project teams are working on their projects’ structure, style and focus of the content as well as the presentation and pitching techniques. This is done by working in small groups under guidance from international experts and through highly informative seminar sessions. At the end of the workshop each project is re-written and presented to the participating financiers in a 2-page presentation.
The development workshop is lead by experienced international producers & filmmakers. The tutors of the workshop will be:
- Carmen Cobos, producer, Spain/The Netherlands
- Gitte Hansen, distributor, First Hand Films, Switzerland
- Kees Ryninks, producer, The Netherlands
- Jesper Osmund, editor, Denmark
- Christian Popp, producer, Germany
- Audrius Stonys, director, Lithuania
- Peter Wintonick, director/producer, Canada
As part of the Docs in Thessaloniki workshop we also present the master class:
Documentary stories in new media
- a transmedia master class with Asta Wellejus
Thursday, March 15, 2012 at 10:00 – 11:30 at the AKMH, 14 Tsimiski Street.
What does the future landscape for telling documentary stories look like? How do you work with telling documentary stories across several platforms? And can documentary work better than fiction in the new media world? Come to the master class with Transmedia Producer Asta Wellejus and get answers to these questions and many more.
Docs in Thessaloniki concludes with two days of pitching
During the pitching sessions all participants pitch their projects to a panel of international financiers from leading broadcasters. Pitchers have seven minutes to present their projects. The visual material in form of a trailer or promo has to be included in these seven minutes. After the pitch the panel has seven minutes to give feedback.
The pitching session is followed by scheduled individual meetings between the pitching teams and the financiers. The meetings are for in-depth discussions about further development and possible future collaboration.
The panel will consist of financiers from leading broadcasters and funders. So far the following panel participants have confirmed their presence:
- - Madeleine Avramoussis, ARTE G.E.I.E, France
- - Kathrin Brinkmann, ZDF/ARTE, Germany
- - Hanka Kastelicova, RTV SLO, Slovenia
- - Wim Van Rompaey, Lichtpunt, Belgium
- - Jenny Westergard, YLE, Finland
- - Cynthia Kane, ITVS International, USA
- - Flora Gregory, Al Jazeera English, UK
- - Charlotte Gry Madsen, DR International Sales, Denmark
- - Ariana Meintana, ERT, Greece
- - Jan Rofekamp, Films Transit, Canada
- - Stefan Kloos, Rise and Shine World Sales, Germany
- - Manuela Buono, Taskovski Films, UK
- - Heribert Schneiders, ARD/MDR, Germany
- - Greg Sanderson, BBC, UK
We expect to have 12-15 financiers present for the Docs in Thessaloniki panel and will announce their names here as their participation gets confirmed.
The deadline for applying for Docs in Thessaloniki was January 20, 2012. The follow projects have been selected:
- - 37 / Directed by: Djordje Markovic / Produced by: Ivana Antic and Djordje Markovic, Tuna Fish Studio, Serbia
- - Animal of the Future / Directed by: Jörg Giese / Produced by: Gregor Streiber, Inselfilm Produktion, Germany
- - Circle / Directed by: Valentina Monti / Produced by Alessandro Carroli, Kiné, Italy
- - Ghost Rockets / Directed by: Michael Cavanagh and Kerstin Ûbelacker / Produced by: Kerstin Ûbelacker, We Have a Plan, Sweden
- - Greece, Work in Progress / Directed by: Elena Zervopoulou / Produced by: Elena Zervopoulou, One Vibe Films, Italy/Greece
- - The Last Election? / Directed by: Wooyoung Choi / Produced by: Sinae Ha, BODA Media Group, Korea
- - The Little Land / Directed by: Nikos Dayandas / Produced by: Rea Apostolides and Yuri Averof, Anemon Productions, Greece
- - Lost in Egypt / Directed by: Ahmed Hassouna / Produced by: Ahmed Hassouna, Imagine Production House, Egypt
- - Mana / Directed by: Valerie Kontakos and Giannis Misouridis / Produced by: Valerie Kontakos, Exile Room, Greece
- - My Journey to Meet You / Directed by: Marco Simon Puccioni / Produced by: Simone Catania, Indyca, Italy
- - The New Plastic Road / Directed by: Myrto Papadopoulos and Angelos Tsaousis / Produced by: Angelos Tsaousis, Filmografik Productions, Greece
- - Orderly People / Directed by: Ulrik Gutkin / Produced by: Jacob Oliver Krarup, Copenhagen Film Company, Denmark
- - Price of a Daughter / Directed by: Yeliz Shukri / Produced by: Stavros Papageorghiou, Tetraktys Film Productions, Cyprus
- - Revelation Point / Directed by: Boris Missirkov and Georgi Bogdanov / Produced by: Martichka Bozhilova, Agitprop, Bulgaria
- - The Sea Gypsies / Directed by: Eliza Kubarska / Produced by: Monika Braid, Braidmade Films, UK
- - Sex, Maracas & Chihuahuas / Directed by: Diego Mas Trelles / Produced by: Enrique López Lavigne, Apaches Entertainment, Spain
- - Sharia in Greece / Directed by: Irini Michailidou / Produced by: Alexis Pilos, Zero Zero Productions, Greece
- - Sick / Directed by: Hrvoje Mabic / Produced by Iva Tkalec, Fade In, Croatia
- - The Twin Moms / Directed by: Corinne van der Borch / Produced by: Corinne van der Borch, Wondertime Films, USA
- - When the Ice Melts / Directed by: Anne-Marieke Graafmans / Produced by: Katja Draaijer, BALDR Film, The Netherlands
- - Wounded Trust / Directed by: Katja Berls / Produced by: Katja Berls, Germany
Participating as observer
You can also take part in the session as an observer, without a project to be pitched. You will then take part in all sessions of the workshop on equal terms of the pitching teams, but without having a project developed and pitched. If you want to apply for an observer seat please send your CV to Hanne Skjødt at email@example.com
The price for participating in Docs in Thessaloniki is:
- - 300 Euro for the first person connected to a project
- - 200 Euro for second or third person connected to a project
- - 200 Euro for observers
EDN members receive a 20% discount.
Besides the whole five-day pitching session programme this includes all lunches and coffee breaks, dinner on the first evening and a festival pass for the Thessaloniki Documentary Festival.
EDN Contact Person
Phone: + 45 3313 1122
Docs in Thessaloniki is organized by EDN in collaboration with the Thessaloniki Documentary Festival-Images of the 21st Century.
Read more about EDN's activities in Thessaloniki: