Below ZERO 2014
January 15 – 18, 2014. Tromsø, Norway
During this 6th edition of Below ZERO the very first Arctic Documentary Award will be announced. No matter where you are based you are welcome to submit your documentary projects concerning all aspects relating to life above the Arctic Circle. The deadline for submitting your project is on November 28, 2013.
Below ZERO is an international pitching session for documentary projects focusing on life above the Arctic Circle. At the session a wide range of documentary projects on all subjects related to this matter will be pitched. These can be projects focusing on culture, environment, resources, politics, climate changes and indigenous peoples as well as general human stories. For the first time the projects selected for Below ZERO will be competing for The Arctic Documentary Award. It is a NOK 40000 award given by Kulturnæringsstiftelsen SNN to the project which has the best political, environmental or cultural relevance to the Arctic and has an international potential for financing and distribution.
Filmmakers from all over the World are welcome to submit projects for Below ZERO. Stories with a broad international market appeal are preferred. From the submitted project proposals a maximum of 12 projects will be selected for participation. The working language will be English.
What do previous participants say about Below ZERO?
'Below Zero proved for me as a Director of the film Arctic Dreams invaluable in creating and understanding the needed financial structure of my film, in understanding how a co-production of a film shot in Canada, by a Swedish person working out of a UK based production company should look. As a forum for discussion and in helping you as a film maker to focus your project by conversations with tutors, other film makers and commissioners it helped me enormously in understanding the story I was telling and gave the project a great backing for getting the funding I was looking for as well as a very good introduction to several of the European commissioners.'
Marcus Werner Hed, director, Pundersons Gardens, UK
Below ZERO participant with the project ARCTIC DREAMS
Financiers for the pitching panel
The financiers present for the pitching panel will be:
Sandra Whipham, Britdoc, UK
Ralf Quibeldey, NDR, Germany
Tore Tomter, NRK, Norway
Even Bennestad, The Norwegian Film Institute, Norway
Jesper Bergom-Larsson, North Norwegian Film Centre, Norway
Anna Svensson, SVT Umeå, Sweden
Sirel Pensaar, FilmpoolNord, Sweden
Valérie Theobaldt, ARTE, France
Tom Perlmutter, National Film Board, Canada
Pieter Fleury, The Netherlands Film Fund, The Netherlands
Andrea Hock, Autlook Filmsales, Austria
The Below ZERO programme
The programme for Below ZERO will consist of:
- a pre-pitching workshop where the selected projects will be developed under guidance from experienced international experts from the documentary business. The workshop will focus on how the projects can be developed in the best possible direction and how the presentation of the project can be optimized
- a pitching session where each project will be pitched in seven minutes for a panel of international financiers and possible future collaborators. The pitch will be followed by a brief round of feedback from the panel and individual meetings between filmmakers and financiers
- networking events to encourage future collaborations between organisations, financiers, producers and filmmakers.
Tutors at the workshop will be:
- Emma Davie, Director, Scotland
- Hanna Heilborn, Producer, Sweden,
- Hans Erik Voktor, Director, Norway
- Miriam Nørgaard, Editor & Producer, Denmark
- Mikael Opstrup, Head of Studies EDN, Denmark
How to participate
The deadline for submitting your project for Below Zero was November 28, 2013. The following projects have been selected for participation:
- Small Time Giants, Aka Hansen, Uilu Stories, Greenland
- Kaisa’s Enchanted Forest, Katja Gauriloff & Joonas Berghäll, Oktober Oy, Finland
- Son of the Sun, Gunilla Bresky, Red Lips, Sweden
- Colony Lapland, Linda Västrik, Håkan Berthas & Oskar Östergren, Bautafilm AB, Sweden
- Armed with my Camera, Anette Winblad & Tell Aulin, Tellemontage AB, Sweden
- Dad and the Sea, Ina Holmquist, Emelie Wallgren & Stina Gardell, Mantaray Film, Sweden
- The Bear Island, Inge Wegge & Anders Graham, Steinar Jøraanstad, Weggefilms, Norway
- Trawl, Hilde Stålskjær Olsen & Karl Emil Rikardsen, Relation04 Media AS, Norway
- The wonderfull weird World of Chess, Trond Brede Andersen & John Arvid Berger, Jabfilm, Norway
- Adrift, Aurelio Laino, Decima Rosa & 8th Wall Ldt., Italy
- The Uncertainty of Boundaries, Julien Sallé & Marie Gutmann, Meroe Films, France
Participating as Observer
For Below ZERO a number of observer seats are available. When participating as an observer you will take part in all sessions on equal terms with the pitching participants. Only exception is not having a concrete project developed and pitched. Observers pay 200 Euro for participating.
Each selected project pays a participation fee of 300 Euro, which includes one participating person. Every other member of the pitching team pays an individual fee of 200 Euro.
Background on Below ZERO
The Below ZERO event was initiated in 2009 in order to bring together filmmakers, producers, financiers and organisations whose common interest is documentaries thematically rooted in the Northern Polar region. Building on the success of the first five editions of Below ZERO, this sixth edition will further strengthen and develop the international network for documentaries made around or focusing on the Arctic region. Below ZERO is set in Tromsø, Northern Norway, during the last days of the polar night.