Submissions Open for Crossing Borders 2017
Documentary makers in Europe and Asia ,who are interested in developing their documentaries for the international market, can now submit their projects for Crossing Borders 2017. The deadline for applications is 7 April 2017.
Crossing Borders is a training programme for documentary professionals in Europe and Asia looking to access the international documentary market. The programme aims to bring together filmmakers and documentary experts from both Europe and Asia, who are highly motivated to collaborate with each other across national borders with the ambition to enter each other's markets both artistically and financially. The programme has so far taken place in China (2010), Malaysia (2011 & 2013), Indonesia (2015) and South Korea (2012 & 2016).
Crossing Borders is organised by EDN and Documentary Campus and presented in partnership with FINAS – The National Film Development Corporation Malaysia and MyDocs.
This year's edition of Crossing Borders consists of four sessions: a development workshop kicking off the programme, a separate online session focusing on story development and trailers (scheduled for September), a pitch training workshop taking place in October in Leipzig, Germany (also see Crossing Borders Part 2) and a distribution & outreach workshop with presentations to financiers and sales agents in December.
WHO CAN APPLY
Crossing Borders is looking for documentary professionals (directors, producers, writers) coming from Europe and Asia (with a focus on South-East Asia) who have experience in their domestic market but strive to work in the international field. European filmmakers must have a project in development/early production with a relation to Asia.
We are looking for:
• All types of factual media, especially television series, creative documentaries, multiplatform projects
• genre films, e.g. history, science, arts, wildlife, natural history, environment or human interest
• great stories that need additional development before being pitched internationally
• stories and characters that can reach global audiences
WHAT TO SUBMIT
When applying please send the following documents via email to :
1) Application Form - SIGNED
2) A two-page presentation of the documentary project including:
• a financing plan and estimated completion date for project
• director’s CV and/or producer’s CV
• a short profile of the production company, if applicable
• a short self-presentation video stating your motivation to take part in the training*
• a trailer and/or examples of previous work
*Applicants should briefly state why specifically a European-Asian exchange and collaboration is relevant to their work and projects, even if this may seem apparent by the content of their proposed film projects. We will be looking for participants who show an ambition and the capacity to build longer-term relationships in the “foreign region” with which they will be collaborating during the workshops.
• All video material must be submitted via link to stream or download
• All applications must be in English
• All participants are required to have a working knowledge of English
• All applicants may attend the workshop with one team partner and at least one person from the project team must participate in all 3 workshops
• Projects should be well researched and developed to a stage where a comprehensive synopsis, outline, and initial budget are available. This will ensure the participants to benefit from the condensed workshop schedule to the full extent. Furthermore, a first short trailer version of the project should be available for workshop no. 1 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The participants of Crossing Borders will be selected by a selection committee. In the final selection, an emphasis will be placed on the quality and international potential of the proposed documentary film projects, and on the previous experience of the applicants themselves.
As soon as the selection of the Crossing Border participants is official, all applicants will receive an email telling them if their projects have been accepted or rejected. The applications and proposed documentary projects will be treated confidentially. All rights on the developed projects naturally remain with the participants.
FEES & FINANCING
There is no participation fee for the course. The selected participants will pay for their airfares, accommodation and subsistence at each workshop.
All applications must be send via e-mail to:
The application form can be downloaded here.
Need more information?
Crossing Borders | Contacts:
Also check our activity list for more information about Crossing Borders:
Further links at edn.network
Search among 600+ events in the DOCalendar
See links to European training initiatives in Resources
Follow EDN on and